Amanda Liu

Student Spotlight: Amanda Liu – ACES (Senior)

About Amanda

Amanda Liu is a senior majoring in computer science (CS) and minoring in statistics. Her Honors living-learning program is ACES. Some of her favorite activities at UMD have been TAing for CS classes, doing Natural Language Processing (NLP) research, helping to organize their flagship hackathons (Technica and Bitcamp), and conducting student outreach through the Honors Ambassadors and Computer Science Ambassadors programs.

Achievements & Accomplishments

• Full-ride Banneker/Key Scholar at UMD
  • Published a computer science research paper in the 2023 PLATEAU workshop: “Debugging Techniques in Professional Programming”
  • 2023 National Center for Women in Technology Collegiate Award Finalist
  • Software Engineering internships at Databricks, Meta, Snap, GoDaddy

What do you like about the Honors College?

“I loved my LLP community! From living together and taking the same classes, I got really close with the other students in my ACES cohort and they ended up being some of my closest college friends.”

What is your passion project?

“I love open-source software development! At my Databricks internship last summer, I contributed to the open-source Apache Spark framework. I also helped develop an open-source project called English SDK for Apache Spark, which leverages generative AI to help democratize access to powerful Spark tools.”

What advice do you have for prospective students going through the college application process?

“Choosing a college is such a personal process! I’d encourage you to look for schools that will help YOU thrive in your own interests, rather than simply looking at ranking lists or following your peers’ opinions.”

Honors Communications

Related