First-Generation Student Association

FGSA logo

The First-Generation Student Association (FGSA) is a student leadership organization within the Honors College dedicated to aiding the transition of first-generation students into the Honors College and the University of Maryland. The primary goal of FGSA is to support and promote the ongoing success of first-generation students in college. The association is devoted to creating a strong sense of community among first-generation students on campus; membership is open to all students on campus.

The association provides:

• Specialized programs designed to address the specific needs of first-generation students.
  • Support for academic and personal growth.
  • Social, personal, and professional development opportunities with students, faculty, and staff.
  • Leadership prospects for members.
  • Access to campus resources and various opportunities.

“CONGRATULATIONS!!! Being at any college/university is an astounding feat that should not be overlooked. I personally understand the amount of hard work and dedication it takes to get to this point. Even though you may be the first in your family to attend college/university, it does not mean you are alone. I can confidently say the University of Maryland, and specifically OMSE and the Honors College, has helped me overcome the trials of being first-gen and fight off any sense of imposter syndrome. You all are brilliant students and deserve the opportunity to show off your greatness at UMD!”

Derreck Boateng-Agyemang
– Derreck Boateng-Agyemang

“Arriving at UMD as a first generation student definitely had its fair share of challenges— applying was confusing and new, acceptance was both baffling and humbling, and working out all of the forms and agreements was definitely overwhelming. But I can say with complete confidence that the transition into college life was nowhere near as difficult as I was expecting. There is plenty of support and resources available for you to take advantage of. Check your emails often and you’ll find that there are lots of opportunities for first generation students, including scholarships, events, and mentorships. Regardless of the obstacles you may face, your time at UMD will undoubtedly be a good one.”

Angelina Hermosilla Roman
 – Angelina Hermosilla Roman

“Coming from a high school that did not prepare me for college, I realized how unprepared I was in-comparison to my peers. In my mind, I thought I was alone and that I did not have someone to talk to about this. Even though I now recognize that I had numerous opportunities to speak with someone to improve. However, because I had become accustomed to being independent in my studies throughout high school, seeking assistance was a significant step for me. Therefore, do not hesitate to reach out to your professors, and your advisor. Everyone here wants you to succeed. Whether you need personal or academic guidance, do not be afraid to ask for help. Utilize the resources that are offered to you around campus; It will make transitioning much easier. You’ve worked hard to get this far, so celebrate yourself! You’re capable of it! Don’t worry about the little things. Remember that it is okay to have ups and downs along the way. What is important is that you continue to persevere and move forward!”

Ashley Hernandez
 – Ashley Hernandez

For more information on FGSA, you may:

2024-2025 Executive Board