Information for Fall 2020
The Honors College will continue to update information from the Keep Learning @UMD, Department of Residential Life, Student and Academic Affairs, Athletics, and more. Please check your email for announcements from the Honors College and University.
Now that we know more of how the University will go forward with the fall 2020 semester, we understand that some students will need to make the personal decision to consider enrollment options for the fall semester.
As you consider your options, please take into account whether or not sitting out a semester or dropping from full-time to part-time student status (11 credits or less), might impact scholarships, financial aid package loans, on-campus housing priority, as well as your academic progress. Depending upon your individual circumstances, there may be other considerations. We encourage you to meet with your academic advisor to ensure an informed decision-making process.
Honors College Level:
- For returning students, your LLP (with the exception of University Honors) consists of a sequential curriculum. We encourage you to consider the implications for your program curriculum if you sit out the fall. You may not be able to enroll in spring LLP courses.
- For returning University Honors students, please contact Mr. Dean Hebert to better understand the availability of HONR seminars and your progress toward completing the Citation.
- For EIP students, please contact your program staff. As EIP courses are sequential and are planned not to be offered next year, current sophomores would need to apply for transfer into University Honors and follow the plan for UH students above. Juniors and seniors should contact staff to discuss options to complete your remaining requirements beyond your completed HEIP courses.
- For returning Gemstone students, please review the temporary withdrawal policy on the website at http://gemstone.umd.edu/academics/procedures.html#temporary and contact email@example.com if you have any questions.
Please also contact your program to inform them if your intention is to sit out the fall semester. Further, we also recommend speaking with your academic advising department(s) and scholarship sponsors in order to ensure your full understanding of your scholarship’s funding guidelines. You may also need to contact the Office of Financial Aid. Returning students may direct questions to Dr. Traci Dula, Associate Director, Honors College at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- For incoming freshmen (class of 2024), your decision to sit out the fall will need to involve contacting the Office of Undergraduate Admission (OUA) regarding an enrollment deferral. OUA has extended the deadline to request a deferral to July 24. Please contact them as soon as you decide you would like to request a deferral. A fall 2020 deferral will mean that you will not be able to begin your LLP (including University Honors students) until fall 2021 because all courses in all Honors College LLPs are sequential. Incoming students should direct questions to email@example.com. Should you decide that sitting out the fall is the best decision for you, please contact the Office of Undergraduate Admission. Only OUA can grant deferral approvals. Further, if you have a housing agreement with Resident Life, please contact them directly.
We are looking forward to seeing students in August!